What to do if my almost 5 year old daughter fell in the play area of a fast food chain and cut her forehead?

She required 5 stitches. What kind of compensation can I expect they will offer? Do I ask, or wait for an offer. At this point they say they are still investigating it.

Asked on January 25, 2013 under Personal Injury, Florida


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The fast food chain is not necessarily responsible for your daughter's medical bills or injuries.  If she fell because they failed to maintain the area, or the area was unsafe, you may be entitled to recover medical expenses.  However, if your daughter fell because she is a child and children sometimes fall, without fault by the company, you are not entitled to any compensation.

If I were you, I would contact them and ask for reimbursement of medical expenses.  They would probably be willing to pay this regardless of fault.  However, if you push for more "compensation," they are likely to force you to get a lawyer.  If your daughter heals well, I don't think it serves you to hire a lawyer or bring a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.