What will happen if my adult son is charged with criminal sexual conduct with a minor but she lied about her age?

He signed a voluntary statement that he had sex but it was consensual, and that she lied about her age to him. Since she is a minor, and can’t consent, does he have any chance of staying out of prison? He has no prior record. Also, the rest of the family does not want him back at our house. I was considering bailing him out and seeing if we could get him into a halfway house. Will this hurt his chances of no sentance or a reduced sentence? Lastly, he lived on our property, but was house sitting for us and this happened in our house. Can we be held civally liable?

Asked on July 7, 2014 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately that is not a defense to the charges. I have handled these cases before so I can say from experience that probation is possible but it depends on the ages of the parties involved and the county where the case is brought. Also, whether there is any prior incidents or prior criminal record of your son. Instead of bailing him out, I would recommend hiring an experienced criminal defense attorney as that will help his chances way more than bailing him out of jail. Many more facts are necessary to determine if there is any potential civil liability. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.