What to do if my adult daughter was committed involuntarily after a suicide attempt and now the County Attorney is pressing charges against her for the attempt?

Why would he do that? And what kind of charges and outcome can she expect?

Asked on September 6, 2013 under Criminal Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In all states in this country attempted suicide is unfortunately a crime. Based upon what you have written about, your daughter needs to consult with a criminal defense attorney about her matter assuming she is competent to do so. One in your locality can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.