What to do if my 8 year old was recently diagnosed with metatarsus adductus and the podiatrist told me her primary care physician should have noticed the problem years ago?

I brought this to the PCP’s attention twice. Once when my daughter was a baby and again a few years ago. Both times he brushed me off stating that she would “outgrow” the problem. She is now needing treatment that will take years and will cost hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. Do I have legal recourse against the PCP?

Asked on October 1, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I can surely understand how upset you must be about this.  The condition is congenital and diagnosed by examination.  One would think that if you noticed it the physician should have too and at the very least sent you to an orthopedist way back when.  I would consult a med mal attorney in your area asap. If his or her actions deviated from the normal standard of care and as a result your child must now go through a much more difficult course of treatment because he or she is older I think you have a good shot.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.