What to do regarding the safety of playground equipment?

My 5 year old fell from a high monkey bar during school recess and broke his arm. The school has three playgrounds. Each playground has a monkey bar but with different heights. Because of proximity the kindergarten kids are scheduled by the school to go to the smallest and the highest playgrounds. The highest playground is definitely not suited for kids that age. I would never allow my son to use a monkey bar that high unless I would stand below it. My son had an operation with full anesthesia, wears a cast and is recovering. The school has not changed the playground usage weekly schedule after the accident. Kindergaten age kids still play on the monkey bar which is definitely not safe for them. Can law help to change it?

Asked on September 15, 2012 under Personal Injury, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry.  Do you mean local ordinances?  You would need to speak with a local attorney as to their existance.  But a lawsuit and some letter writing to local officials and the school board might.  I would speak to an attorney in your area regarding the matter.  Consultation on his personal injury should be free.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.