If my 4 siblings and I own a summer home and I want to be bought out, how do I go about it?

What if they do not want to buy us out, what options do we have? What ever amount we agree upon for the price, can we do a deed transfer for $1? Does my husband have to pay tax on the money received from his share of the house?Can the check for his share of the house be put into one of my children’s name, and if so do the children have to pay taxes. I have an appraisal of 275K, siblings got an appraisl of 175K.

Asked on August 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


John Ducey / Law Offices of John G. Ducey,PC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to file in chancery for a dissolution of the partnership by forcing a slae of the house. If the siblings want it they will be forced to buy you out.  The Judge will decide what value the house has unless a settlement can be reached as to the value.  Deed transfer for $1 would mean you are only getting a $1 unless you plan on committing fraud.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.