If my 3 year old daughter was playing in our backyard were there is a telephone pole and cut her leg on a broken guy wire coming off of it which resulted in her getting 6 stiches, is the telephone company liable?

Asked on August 27, 2015 under Personal Injury, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The telephone company may be liable--it depends on whether they were at fault. The are not at fault simply because they own the pole and wire they would be at fault if either they knew there was a broken wire such as because someone reported it, or it was plainly visible and they recently had an employee inspect or service that pole or possibly if they are so far behind on inspections and maintenance that they could be considered negligent by simply not inspecting and repairing this pole on anything like a regular basis.
However, in a lawsuit like this, you can only recover 1 your actual out-of-pocket medical costs i.e. costs not paid by some insurance or benefits program and 2 "pain and suffering" if your daughter will suffer some long-lasting generally months or more impairment or disability. It may not be worthwhile bringing a lawsuit, because for stitches on a leg, you generally cannot recover enough money to justify the time and cost of litigation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.