What should we do if my 28-year-old son has a municipal court date in 2 days because he was arrested for possession of heroin and a needle?

He was only a few blocks from a school (but school was out for the summer). It’s his first offense. He went to county jail and bail was set at $5,000. We bailed him out and he went to detox.

Asked on July 14, 2014 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

He needs an attorney to determine if he qualifies for analternate sentence or delayed conviction which will include counseling. A criminal defense attorney should be able to help him. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.