What to do if my vehicle was totaled due to the negligence of a parking valet?

The hotel valet left it in neutral on a garage ramp. It went about 70 yards on a downhill ramp and crashed into a solid brick wall. What am I entitled to?

Asked on September 1, 2012 under Accident Law, New York


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can make a claim with the insurance company for the hotel where the valet works.  You would be entitled to the cost of the damages to your vehicle.  If you vehicle was totaled, you are entitled to the value of your vehicle at the time it was totaled.  The hotel should also cover rental car expenses for you if you are having to use a rental car in the meantime.   If the hotel is not already aware of the incident, make them aware right away and make a report.  Tell them you wish to establish a claim with their liability carrier.  Good luck to you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.