What are my rights if my 20 year old son died in an automobile accident 5 years ago?

wasn’t aware if I could file a claim against the vehicle owner’s insurance company and the emotional strain of the death was all I could handle at the time. Is it possible to file such a claim and is there a statute of limitations on this type of case?

Asked on December 4, 2013 under Personal Injury, New Mexico


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you immediately consult with a wrongful death attorney about the loss of your son. One can be found on attorneypages.com. From what you have written about any wrongful death claim that you may have had could be barred by your state's statute of limitations for such a claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.