What to do if my 19 year old son was driving his truck, which is registered under my name, and was involved in an accident but now I’m being sued?

Is this possible?

Asked on September 9, 2014 under Accident Law, Montana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is possible because a car registration is intended to show clear ownership of a vehicle.  If the car was registered in your name then the attorney for the other party is going to assume that there is an ownership interest and sue you as well.  Does your son live with you?  Is the car insured under your policy or a separate policy?  I would consult with an attorney and alert your insurance company.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.