What to do about a warrant for failure to appear?

My 19 year old daughter was charged 2 years ago with “minor in consumption” of alcohol. A court date was on the summons. We attended court but the court had no paperwork. We had the summons stamped to prove that we were there and heard nothing until this week when it was learned a bench warrant was issued for failure to appear. Shouldn’t the case have been dropped since we were there and the state did not have any paperwork?

Asked on March 19, 2014 under Criminal Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The case would not necessarily have been dropped, but more likely it was extended.  The court should have notified your daughter of the new time and date, either at the first court date or in a subsequent letter.  Go to court and attempt to get it straightened out.  You may want to retain an attorney to go with you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.