If my 18 year old son was arrested and I bonded him out, do we wait for his court date and ask for a court appointed lawyer or should I call the public defender office now?

Asked on January 17, 2013 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given what you have written about, I suggest that you and your son go to your county's public defender's office and fill out the necessary paperwork to see if he is qualified for court appointed counsel. It is better to get matters take care of sooner rather than simply waiting for a court date and then scrambling.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.