If my 18 year old daughter was arrested with another person and I have now received a bill from The Assigned Counsel Program, is it my responsibility if I had no knowledge of the proceedings?

The other person stole a wallet. My daughter does not live with me. I was not contacted concerning this event, and she was released on her own recognises. She appeared in court, and the charges against her were dropped. After everything was done and over with, I received a letter asking if I wished to obtain counsel for her. Because it was over, I did not retain counsel. I have now received a bill from The Assigned Counsel Program.

Asked on April 14, 2015 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If she was 18 at the time of the proceedings, then you are not under any obligation to pay for her: she is an  adult, and one adult, even a parent, is not obligated to pay for another adult's expenses. (If she was a minor at the time, you would have had to pay.) Send them back a letter explaining that she was over 18 at the time and does not live with you; send a copy of any proof of her age that you  have (e.g. a birth certificate) and tell them the address she's been living at.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.