My 18 year daughter cashed a check for a boyfriend. in her own account 7 months ago the detective is calling …what do we do ..she didnt know they were stolen

She fell in love with an older man, 36 years old, 7 months ago. He wrote her out 2 checks that she deposited into her own account well tbey ended up being stolen checks. Now the detectuves are calling. How can we help her in this since she also is a victim?

Asked on January 19, 2018 under Criminal Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Get your daughter an attorney as soon as you can.  And make sure that the detective talks to her with the attorney present.  She is an adult under the law and so you can not protect her as her parents, only help her with retaining legal counsel.  This is a common scam that a LOT of kids fall for.  The attorney will know how to handle it and helpin her cooperate with finding and prosecuting him.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.