How to proceed if my son punched a sales clerk and worker’s comp is now taking him and his father to court?

This happened 2 years ago and my son is now 19 years old. I can’t afford an attorney and my son doesn’t work and owns nothing. I am still paying off his other restitution bills. Even though I wasn’t named, I believe that I am still at risk to be included. Is there a way my son can take responsibility and handle this himself?

Asked on February 25, 2013 under Personal Injury, Hawaii


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that if you cannot afford a private attorney that you consult with your local legal aid clinic, county bar association or local law school to see if there is a program in place to assist you with some semblance of legal guidance to assist you in the matter you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.