My 17y/o daughter wants to move in w/ sister who is 26. We agree with this. It will be in another city, 20 min away. Can I be emancipated?

Mom and stepdad live in the country, I want to live in the city. i have a two jobs and my GED. I live in Kentucky.

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Kentucky does not have an emancipation statute, which means you have to wait until the age of majority, which is 18.

B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It sounds like a real possibility.  You seem to meet the usual test, being able to support yourself and live away from your parents.  Your father might have something to say about this, but if he's paying child support, your emancipation would end that a few months early.  If he's not around, it's not a problem.

To find a lawyer who can help you with the paperwork, one place to look is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.