If my 17 year old son was caught with roughly 6 dime size bags of weed on him at school, what could he be charged with and what could happen to him?

Asked on November 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, Ohio


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

He could be charged with possession and depending on the amount found on his person or near his person, he could be charged with intent to sell (a far more serious charge and offense).  He could get significant jail time and fines.  If he is 17, he could be charged as an adult, as well.  The best option your son has at this point is to obtain legal counsel (whether court appointed public defender or private counsel) and see if a) he qualifies to plea with the prosecutor for an alternative conviction or b) if he could somehow get the charges lower or some dropped. This will all depend on a number of factors, from the wishes of the prosecutor, whether your son has previously gotten into trouble or if he has a record, whether he is a good student and whether he is an active member of his community. He needs to take this seriously because it will impact his future educational and employment prospects if this conviction shows up on his record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.