What can I do to get custody of my son?

My 17 year old son is living with his dad who has custody. I live in another state. Then 3 months ago he ran away due to abuse from his dad. The authorities will not make him go home because he is 17 (he will be 18 in 4 months). Right now he is living in a car with a friend. I need to get him back with me so he is not homeless, however his dad will not give permission. Can I get in trouble for bringing him here without a court order? I’m afraid a court order will take until he becomes of age.

Asked on January 27, 2013 under Family Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under the circumstances, you may be able to file for an emergency order of custody. The requirements vary from state-to-state. At this point you'll need to contact an attorney in the state in which the exisiting order was issued. You can either hire them or at least get directed to where you can get more information yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.