What to do about tresspassing on posted property and a criminal history record?

My 16 year old son received a United States District Court Violation for trespassing on property posted no trespassing. He received a $125 fine plus $25 processing fee and no court date. What will this do to his records? Will this be a permanent mark on his records? Should we just pay the fine or should we try and do something to keep his record clean. he officer told me it was a fine ticket and would not give him a criminal record unless he did this again.

Asked on September 3, 2012 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written about, the $150.00 total fine seems to be an infraction for trespassing and not a per criminal matter such as a misdemeanor where payment of the fine would not be detrimental to your son who is a minor in the future. I suggest that you pay $155 as the fine (yes $155) where most likely you will receive a $5 rebate check. Do not cash the $5 rebate check. The reason is that with an open check most likely there will be no final determination as to the $150 fine.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.