If my 16 year old girlfriend is pregnant and I’m 18 about to turn 19, what going to happen to me?

Asked on January 10, 2013 under Criminal Law, New York


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In New York a 16 year old is incapable of consenting to sex until she is 17 years old.  While it is not considered Statutory Rape because you under 21, you may still face criminal charges.  Consult a criminal attorney and do NOT answer any questions of any detectives seeking to discuss this with you.

MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It depends on your jurisdiction and whether her parents would press charges against you. I would recommend you speak with your family and discuss how you wish to enforce your right to see your child and how you wish to pay for child support. Talk to a lawyer and if you have a good relationship with your girlfriend and her parents, make sure you secure your rights as you move forward with this pregnancy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.