What to do if my 15 year old son is being charged with assualt in 3rd degree on a off-duty police officer?

Witnesses say my son was defending himself when he hit the office because the officer was using excessive force. Does he have a case against the officer? Should I get a lawyer instead of using a public defender?

Asked on September 22, 2012 under Criminal Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given the fact that your son is charged with a criminal offense even though he is a juvenile, you should retain a criminal defense attorney to represent him. If you can afford private counsel, such is better than a public defender.

Whether or not your son has a claim against the off-duty police officer depends upon an analysis of statements from witnesses and the police report by a personal injury attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.