If my daughteris 15 years of age andis pregnant by an 18 years old, how can they get married?

They want to be married and do this right the rest of the way. The state won’t allow it even though I am consenting.

Asked on November 27, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There really isn't much that you can do - the law the law. I assume that marriage  in your state, as in most others, is allowed at 16 with parental consent. So they can marry on your daughter's next birthday. And be aware, that whether or not they are married, once paternity is established, this boy will be legally obliged to assume finacial responsibility for supporting this child.

Note:  Be aware however, that your daughter's boyfriend could face charges regarding having sexual relations with your daughter even if the contact was consensual; it depends on applicable state law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.