Should I get an attorney if my 14 year son was caught selling prescription drugs on middle school grounds but has already admitted to the crime?

He was questioned by the police at school but without a parent present. He admitted to the police that he did sell 2 xanax pills but I feel that he was coerced into this confession. By the time I was allowed to go sit with him, he was in tears and had already confessed. He was arrested and has a court date next month. For the court hearing, should I get legal representation (money is tight for us right now)? Will legal representation make a difference in the outcome since he already admitted to the crime?

Asked on July 24, 2015 under Criminal Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your son needs an attorney.  The statement that your son gave may or not be admissible in court.  Proper representation will insure that only admissible evidence gets used against your son.  The first part of any case is guilt/innocence-- but that's only half of the issues that your son will need assistance with.  The second half, assuming that he is found guilty, is the punishment phase.  Your son will also need help with this phase to insure that he gets a proper punishment. 

If your son cannot afford an attorney for your son, then your son should request a court appointed attorney.  Your son also needs to hold off talking to any other law enforcement officers until such time that he can obtain representation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.