Must the recorder’s document number be correct for a judgment/lien release to be valid?

A collection attorney prepared a release for a judgment against a property we are buying so we can close, but the release a recorder’s document number that was one digit off from the actual judgment. Is the release still valid or should I ask them to re-do it? The document accurately states the APN, date the judgement was recorded, and property address. Is this viewed as a harmless clerical error or should this recorder’s document number be correct (the document it cites has nothing to do with the seller who the judgment was against or this property).

Asked on August 21, 2011 Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

In order to make sure the abstract of judgment recorded on your property where you have a full satisfaction of judgment of the judgment for recording, in order to avoid any possible problems down the road, it is best that the recorder's number of the judgment recorded on your property be identical with the full satisfaction of judgment and its release that you want to record on your property.

If the two documents do not tack each other, you need to have the attorney for the collection company send you another full satisfaction of judgment with the correct number from the original recorder's number when the abstract of judgment was recorded.

You can then record the full satisfaction of judgment on your property releasing the abstract recorded by the collection company.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.