Must I come into the office on my day off?

My supervisor insists I come into work on my day off for 20 minutes in the middle of
the day. It is not necessary just to make him feel powerful. I do punch in and out but
want to know if I can tell management there is a law regarding this.

Asked on May 7, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have an employment contract or union agreement that prohibits this action, it is legal. Otherwise, as an "at will" worker your employer can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit (absent somefomr of legally actionable discrimination/retaliation). This includes having you come in to work on your day off. If you fail to do so you can be disciplined, up to and including suspension or even termination. In fact, you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. That having been said, if you are a "non-exempt" employee (typically one who is paid on an hourly basis), then you must be paid for the time that you come in. Further, if that puts you over 40 hours for you work week, you must be paid OT for such additional time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.