What happens when you move out of state with a DUI?

My husband has a DUI and his license suspension time is up but in order to get his license he has to do a breathalyzer device. What would happen if he moved to another state, would they require him to use one too to get his license there?

Asked on August 21, 2012 under Criminal Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The answer to your question depends on the law of the state you move to.  But keep in mind that in order to get a license in the new state, he will have to surrender his Arizona license.  So he will need to go ahead and get the interlock device installed to get the Arizona license back, so he can trade it in for a license in whatever state you move to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.