moving out of home owned by myself and spouse

how do i get my name off the home and off the property. my spouse plans on remaining there.

Asked on June 25, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law.  If you are still on the mortgage, you can have your spouse refinance the property and put only their name on the mortgage only.  Then you can transfer your interest in the house to your spouse.  this way, you are off the mortgage and the deed.  If no refi will be done, then quit claim the property to your spouse.  However, it does not benefit you to give up the real estate if you are still on the mortgage as your spouse will benefit from the sale and you wont.  Speak to a lawyer in detail about the circumstances before you do anything.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.