Moving from NY to NC before closing date?

We are moving from one state to
another NY to NC. We are moving
before the closing date. Can we close
on our house from NC? Can the
closing paper be sent to NC?

Asked on June 30, 2017 under Real Estate Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it can be closed without your physical presence. You need to execute  a limited power of attorney or POA which will grant someone--such as your realtor, for example--the authority to sign for you and close on your behalf. (It will be a limited POA since it will only give him/her that authority, and no other.) The realtor's office should now how to do this; if not, any attorney who handles real estate should be able to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.