If money was put into an escrow account when we bought our home and now the title company has since went under, how do we get our money back?

The money was for home improvement, not taxes and insurance.

Asked on September 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would start by contacting the Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation (I will give you the link here as well) and file a claim.  They can direct you as well to any other agency that can help.  Have they filed for bankruptcy?  You may be a creditor so watch out for those notices.  Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.