If money was fraudulently put in my account, is it legally mine?

My father fraudulently put $37,000 into a trading account under my name. It was his girlfriend’s money which she gave him to invest. My dad is now currently in prison and I just found out about the account. The trading company says the money is mine as far as they concerned. If I keep it will I face legal action?

Asked on July 26, 2012 under Business Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You know that the $37,000 in your trading account is not yours and results from improprieties by your father. I suggest that the right thing to do is to contact law enforcement about your discovery so that the process can be undertaken to transfer the $37,000 to its proper owner via the legal process.

Doing such is the right thing to do. If you keep the money, you could have criminal charges filed against you as a co-conspirator for theft via a vis your father.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.