How can ownership interest in property be divided between joint owners?

Party A paid most of the bills over the course of ownership. Party B moved most of the furniture (including things that were not hers) out of the house. Parties were not married, lived there for about 7 years. Party A does not want to sell or divide property. Is a petition to partition the best option, or is there another way to remove Party B from the property?

Asked on June 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Joint owners have equal rights. You seem to realize that a partition action will result in the property being sold and the money divided.  You need to make sure that you have the grounds to request the action as provided in your state law.  Now, Party B can approach party A about selling their interest to Party B (buying them out).  Try that.  Or else when ana ction for partition is brought you can make the offer then.  Sooner is better though.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.