minor acciident/parkinglot feb 2008, my car hit old car on fender, low speed, no air bags deployed, myself/other driver walked away. No being sued 30k

Asked on May 17, 2009 under Accident Law, Maryland


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The person suing you is within the time limit to file suit. You need to put your car insurance carrier on notice asap.  This way you do not have to pay for a lawyer to defend you in court.  The insurance company will fight for your and try to settle the case within the liability limits of your policy.  If you fail to provide the insurance notice timely, or cooperate with the defense of your case, they could deny coverge and you will be stuck with the bills.  If the accident was your fault, then you must make sure your carrier is on notice so they come to bat for you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.