When can a gift be taken back?

My ex-boyfriend’s father gave me a vehicle and signed the title over to me, so the title is in my name. Their is no written agreements concerning the vehicle and now that I broke up with my ex-boyfriend, his father wants the vehicle back. He is threatening to take me to court. Does he have a case?

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, once a gift is given to the recipient, the holder of the gift is entitled to keep it. You are entitled to keep the care that is registered in your name since it was given to you by your former boy friend's father. Let him take you to small claims court. he should lose and be ashamed of himself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.