Michigan Unemployment

I was overpaid benefits by the State. I now have a job and they want it back. I can’t afford to make the payments. They stated they will take my future returns which is fine. What else can they do? I went from $67,000 a year to $30,000. Everyone wants money. I just took any job to stay afloat.

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the circumstances I doubt that there will be any further action against you.  Having you make restitution is really all they want here.  Absent other facts that you have not disclosed there could be criminal action taken but doubtful unless a large amount of money was involved or the fraud continued for an extended period of time.

You can consult with an attorney in your area just to be sure.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.