What to do regarding the purchase of a moped registered in the seller’s name but who obtained it from another person wrongfully?

I bought it from a guy who lied to me on how he got it then found out later he coersed his mentally challenged brother in law into signing it over to him. The guy i bought it from never paid for it. Can the original owner ( brother in law) come after me for it? Or do they go after the brother? I was unaware of this situation until I had to call for warranty work on the bike. I do not want to have to give it back without getting my money back. What does the law say my rights are in this situation? I transferred the registration into my name a day after the purchase.

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Criminal Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you suspect that you received stolen property without any fault on your part, you should immediately notify local law enforcement about your suspicions and follow law enforcement's recommendations.

If the moped is taken from you by law enforcement as a stolen article, your recourse is to file a civil action against the seller for the money spent in getting the moped.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.