If a staff memeber of reception facility took my coat and put it in cloakroom,if it was taken, are they responsible?

At a wedding and member of staff asked if they could put my coat in cloakcroom. Reluctantly I said yes and the next day it was no where to be found. It was kept in an open room accesible to anyone, both guests and staff. I have contacted management regarding the issue and they are claiming not to be responsible what are my rights? Can I contact the police over this issue?

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, assuming the reception facility did not (and most do  not) guaranty that it would keep your belongings safe, you could only sue them for compensation if you can show that they were unreasonably careless. An open cloakroom is common, and would not by itself by unreasonably careless; therefore, they almost certainly would not be liable. Since your coat was likely stolen or taken mistakenly by a third party, the facility would not be liable or responsible for it. You can file a police report, but unless there is some evidence of which person stole it, there is nothing they can do but take the report.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.