Should I sigh a medical release form?

I was involved in a car accident 2 weeks ago; I was not at fault. Afterward, I started experiencing back and neck pain. I have been going to physical therapy for it and at the office I signed saying that it was fine to send my medical bills to the insured party, which is to my adjuster the one taking care of the claim. I just received a letter saying to sign the medical relieve form and send it to my adjuster. It asks stuff about my medical history and job related stuff. I was wondering if I should sign it or not?

Asked on March 2, 2019 under Accident Law, Virginia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

You should sign the medical release. This is standard operating procedure in auto accident cases. In order to evaluate your personal injury claim, the at-fault party's insurance carrier will need your medical bills and medical reports that document your injury, which is the reason for the medical release. Information about medical history is to determine whether you had a preexisting injury to your neck and back. Questions about your job are to evaluate wage loss which will be included in your personal injury claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.