What is my husband’s liability regarding his adult daughter’s medical bill if she is on his health insurance?

My husband’s daughter is on our insurance policy. She is 18. She has a medical bill that she has not paid; just a co-pay. It is for a $100. The mother signed as guarantor of all bills. We are now getting a final notice that we need to pay. This is the first time we have ever seen a bill. Are we legally responsible to pay? What do we tell the office? Or creditors if they call? Our credit is almost perfect, so this is a big deal.

Asked on October 23, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

For $100.00 and if you can afford to pay your husband's adult daughter's medical bill, you should just go ahead and pay it. If the bill was incurred when the daughter was 18 years of age and an adult, technically she is responsible for paying the $100.00 co-pay.

I would first ask her to pay the bill, and if she cannot, then you might do so to make sure your credit does not get a negative mark. Likewise, since the mother agreed to pay the bills of her daughter as a guarantor, you could ask the mother to pay as well.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.