If my fiance is on parole, what do we need to do so that he relocate to another state?

My fiance, my 3 year old son and I are planning to relocate to out of state due to my job. He only has a year left and also my job will be working on either hiring him or getting him hired through a company within the community. We have submitted paperwork to his parole officer, however, he has not returned them in to the parole board. We are thinking of getting a lawyer to help us because he really wants a fresh start on life.

Asked on March 19, 2012 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your fiance will want to stay put until he has a direct approval to leave the jurisdiction/state of his parole. Generally, assuming thus far your fiance has successfully complied with his parole conditions, most parole departments will allow him to transfer his parole to another state so long as it is for work related purposes, which it appears to be. The problem with the parole board and parole process is that they move relatively slow in their decision making process. Hiring an attorney may give you some leverage in speeding up the process, but I would check back in with the parole agent one last time to get a status update and time frame before you hire an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.