If my wife and I have separated, is there anything I can do to keep her new boyfriend away from our son?

Asked on October 10, 2015 under Family Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

IF the new boyfriend is sufficiently a threat in some way to your son--e.g. a registered sex offender a drug user or dealer someone with arrests and convictions for violence--you may be able to get a protective order keeping him away but you would only be able to do this if there is some objective reason, typically based in legal violations, for perceiving a threat. If it's simply that you don't like him or don't like his values/beliefs/life style or don't want him to even partially or implicitly take your place, then no, there would be no basis for keeping him away.
If you do believe there are objective criteria that he represents a threat, speak with a family law attorney about your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.