me and my wife have been seperated for 4 years i dont know where she is what do i do

Asked on May 23, 2009 under Family Law, Oklahoma


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you want to file for divorce, then you will need to make sure that the divorce papers are properly served. If you have tried but you really cannot locate your wife, then the court usually allows service by publication in a newspaper. Make sure you find out from the court exactly how to proceed if you can't locate your wife.

You may want to consult a divorce lawyer to make sure that your divorce is properly finalized.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.