If my wife and I got naturalized last year andhave our US passports but my kids don’t have theirs yet, can travel to Mexico using their Canadian passports?

My kids haven’t got the US passport yet. Instead, they still have valid Canadian passports and permanent resident cards.

Asked on September 6, 2014 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The kids can travel to Mexico as Canadian citizens with their passports, not a US citizens since they would need to have a US passport to travel as US citizens.  It should not make a difference as long as their Canadian passports are valid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.