What to do about a violation of a parenting plan?

My son’s father and I went through mediation to conduct a parenting plan. The parenting plan was completed and the information got sent to a judge and the judge approved the parenting plan which now everything on paper is a court order. My son’s father has a violated the parenting plan and I need advice on what I need to do next. Also, my son’s fathers wife tried taking my son when her and her husband got into a fight and she refused to give my son back to me or his father. She took off with my son and she changed her contact info so me or my sons father couldnt get ahold of her and we didn’t know where she was taking him. I called the police to report her for kidnapping and after everything was said and done.

Asked on January 22, 2013 under Family Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written you need to consult with a family law attorney about discussing your legal options as to the violation of a court order by the son's father where you could file a petition with the court for an order to show cause for contempt of the court order and a further modification of the parenting plan in your favor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.