What to do if my girlfriend and I slit up a year ago but she filed bankruptcy on the house and property that we bought together?

I’m still living in the house and making payments to the bank but I want her name off of everything; both our names are on property and house but her name was the only one on the loan. What do I do?

Asked on January 15, 2013 under Real Estate Law, West Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I sugegst that you consult with your former girlfriend to discuss her intent as to what she wishes to accomplish as to the bankruptcy she filed. If it is to get off of the loan as to the parcel you share title to and to relinquish ownership of it to you via bankruptcy court approval where you would remain bound to the loan that you have written about, such could be accomplished per an order from the bankruptcy court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.