If I’m moving out of state, can my child’s father stop me?

I just heard through friends that my oldest child’s father is trying to stop me from taking my daughter.mShe’s almost 12 and we’ve never had a custody battle or child support order. What do I do?

Asked on May 21, 2012 under Family Law, Kansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Seek legal consultation from an attorney in your area as there are more facts needed here. If you were never married and custody and visitation have never been formally established then you are the legal guardian of the child.  That does not mena, however, that he can not seek to legally establish them at any time.  Then you will have to ask the court's permission to move.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.