If my ex-hudband and I have a car together but he refuses to take my name off, is there other any way to get it off?

My ex-spouse refuses to cooperate with any of my ideas.

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Sounds about right but he may not refuse to cooperate with how a Judge will view this.  How was the asset treated in the divorce?  Does the decree / agreement state that he is to refinance the vehicle or that you are to sign over the title?  You will need to read both and figure out if he is in contempt or breach.  Then you need to bring him back to court to deal with it there.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.