What to do about a car that was in an accident that was unbekownst to me still in my name?

My ex-husband and I had a car in my name and he told me that he sold it to the junk yard i got a summons saying I hit a man last year. I haven’t seen that car in 8 years. How do I’ll go about how to cleat this up?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

In order to start clearing up the situation that you are in, I would first advise your insurance carrier of a possible claim against you involving your former vehicle and send it a copy of the summons and complaint. I would then contact the department of motor vehicles in your state about the need to change registration of the vehicle and the reasons for such.

Next, I would contact your former spouse about how he is going to assist in clearing up the claims against you and the lawsuit. Finally, I would retain a personal injury defense attorney to defend yourself concerning the lawsuit that you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.