may I view will of deceased parent(s)

Im in CA. My mom died and left a trust that I cant touch. M sister, an atty., is in control of it. Im 41. i’d like to view the will but she wont let me. My mom left certain instructions like how $ could be spent on med/dental, entertainment items, living needs, schooling,etc… but not to me directly due to past **** addiction. my sis now decides whether I “need” or “deserve” items I ask for or need paid. When I ask her what exactly my mom left me, she refuses to let me know. Can I obtain a copy of the will for myself? The will is from MA. and I live in CA

Asked on July 1, 2009 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for your loss.  Although I am not admitted in California or Massachusetts, whatever the State you have an absolute right to view the Will and the Trust agreement left by your Mother and your Sister knows it. Is she also the Executor as well as the Trustee? If the Will was Probated you can go down to the Probate Court in the county in which your Mother lived and view the petition that was filed.  You should, though, receive a copy anyway if you are a beneficiary under the Will.   I understand that you live clear across the Country and it may be difficult to do this yourself.  It may be a good idea to retain an attorney for the purpose of writing a letter to your Sister requesting a copy of the Will, Trust and Probate Petition filed as well as an Accounting.  Negotiate a flat fee for the letter.  You are not in the market for a Will contest yet but just want to see what is what.  You can make a decision later on how you wish to proceed. She can not ignore the attorney's letter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.