May I sue an insurance company in my state if it is based in another state but does business in all 50 states?

I cancelled a policy within the 30-day

Asked on April 9, 2016 under Insurance Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A lawsuit can be filed in the state where the plaintiff resides or in the state where the defendant resides or in the state where the claim arose.  You are the plaintiff.  The insurance company is the defendant.
Since the company is transacting business in all states, it must have an agent for service of process in your state.  That agent can be served with your lawsuit on the bad faith claim.  You may need to contact the Secretary of State's office in your state to identify the insurance company's agent for service of process in your state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.